Play the Recorder Month
March 2019 was Play the Recorder Month!
Play the Recorder Day, Saturday March 16, 2019Recorder players from across North America celebrate March as "Play-the-Recorder Month" (PtRM). Many ARS chapters, consorts and recorder orchestras plan special concerts and presentations to illustrate the versatility and beauty of this wonderful instrument.
- 2019 is the 80th Anniversary of ARS! -
Play-the-Recorder Month and Play-the-Recorder Day grew out of a one-day worldwide event on April 1, 1989, during the 50th anniversary year of the American Recorder Society. Its success caused the ARS to declare an annual celebration starting with Play-the-Recorder Day on March 28, 1992. The single day was later expanded to month-long activities plus a focus on one day, which is observed on the third Saturday in March.
This is a great way to bring energy and excitement to your recorder community, and to gain new members. 2019 is particularly special because it is ARS's 80th Anniversary year.Here are some of the activities that happened in March 2019:
- ARS chapters, consorts and recorder orchestras planned special concerts and events to illustrate the versatility and beauty of this wonderful instrument.
- On March 16, 2019, designated as “Play-the-Recorder Day,” recorder players around the world were encouraged to play this year’s composition entitled “Fantasia on Faithless Nancy Dawson” by Phil Neuman. This 4-part piece was published especially for this occasion.
To help you publicize your events, we offer a Press Release and a Public Service Announcement. Here is a timeline to help in planning events.
- ARS-affiliated chapters, consorts and recorder orchestras are eligible to win a great prize. Submit a PtRM Contest Entry Form describing your activities -- the contest deadline has been extended to April 30, 2019. We are also interested in reports to see how our members have been commemorating PtRM.
Play-the-Recorder Month Contest
ARS-affiliated chapters, consorts and recorder orchestras are eligible to enter the “Play-the-Recorder Month Contest." Past prizes have typically consisted of a gift certificate to a recorder instrument or music vendor. The deadline for completed entries was extended to April 30, 2019.
Entries are based on the following criteria:
Contest Entry Form in Microsoft WordContest Entry Form in PDF format Congratulations to our 2018 PtRM CCRO contest winners!1st Place
- Number of Events.
- Where did the events take place?
- How many Performers were involved?
- Were Outside Groups or Players involved?
- Did any event occur on Play-The-Recorder Day, March 16, 2019?
- Did you perform “Fantasia on Faithless Nancy Dawson” as part of your program?
- Were children involved?
- Were Beginners/Novices involved?
- How did you publicize your event?
- Uniqueness Factor - what made your event different and special?
- Other information about your event(s) you would like to share.
: Rochester (NY) Recorder Society2nd Place
: Seattle (WA) Recorder Society3rd Place
: Recorder Society of Long Island (NY)See full coverage of PtRM 2018 in the ARS Newsletter